Curbside Bulk Collection
Scheduling Curbside Bulk Pickup
Curbside pickup of large items need to be scheduled by calling the Muscatine Transfer Station at
- You can also email the Transfer Station with your scheduling request at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Curbside bulky waste pickups can be scheduled as many times as needed during the year.
- Please call by 3:30 p.m. two (2) days before your regular refuse collection day to schedule a curbside bulk waste pickup and leave a message with your name and phone number. A staff member will return your call and confirm a time for collection. Curbside bulk pickup will be scheduled on the residents regular refuse collection day.
- The City schedules 20 bulky waste collections per day.
- Items must be set out by 5:00 a.m. the day of pickup but not before 4:00 p.m. the day before collection.
- Pile size cannot exceed 10’x4’x2’.
Example of items accepted for bulky waste pickup
- Furniture - couch, sectional, chair, recliner, table.
- Mattresses - must be in a bag (available at Transfer Station for no charge).
- Carpet - no longer than four (4) feet, rolled, and secured.
- Dismantled swing sets.
- Minimal building materials.
- Extra trash bags - smaller items must be bagged.
- Appliances - two (2) free per year per address.
Example of items NOT accepted for bulky waste pickup
- Sheds, garages, and excessive building materials.
- Concrete or brick (accepted at Public Works for no charge).
- Paint and household hazardous waste (accepted at Transfer Station for no charge after COVID-19 restrictions are lifted).
- Camper refrigerators and camper air conditioners.
- Car bodies.
- Tires (accepted at Transfer Station for a fee after COVID-19 restrictions are lifted)
Free Week Electronics (July 13-18)
During this week, residents who have City of Muscatine refuse service can bring three (3) electronics to the Transfer Station for no charge with proof of address (drivers license or piece of mail).
Free Week Tires (July 20-25)
During this week, residents who have City of Muscatine refuse service can bring four (4) tires (off of the rim) to the Transfer Station at no charge with proof of address (drivers license or piece of mail).
Items accepted for a fee
These items can also be picked up for bulky waste if the item/items are prepaid.
- Appliances (after two  free per year per address)
Items accepted at no charge
Please check in at the Transfer Station office when bringing any of the following items to the Transfer Station after the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
- Oil based paint
- Florescent light bulbs
- Garden chemicals
- Motor oil
- Pool chemicals
- Sharps in an approved container.
Pre-Payment Before Curbside Pickup
Items that require a payment before curbside collection must be paid for and scheduled prior to the collection. Payments can be made at the
- Muscatine Transfer Station - 1000 S. Houser Street
- Muscatine City Hall - Finance office - 215 Sycamore Street.
- Department of Public Works - 1459 Washington Street.